Program Description: Mary’s Place will offer a limited in scope, and accredited immigration program to former and resettled refugees who live under 125% of the poverty line. We will offer assistance with transitioning from refugee to Lawful Permanent Resident status, LPR (Green Card) renewal and corrections, Naturalization, and fee waiver applications.
Volunteer Description: Meeting with individuals and families to assist them with intake documents and scheduling immigration appointments. Helping refugees complete data collection for their immigration appointment with the accredited rep, better known as “completing homework”
Days & Times: Second Thursday of each month from 11-4, homework as needed.
Training: Volunteers will attend a training with case managers to learn the homework and immigration procedure, what are questions that can be answered, and what must be referred to the accredited representative. Volunteers will report to the accredited representative for direction.
Mary’s Place and its Partially Accredited Representative Matthew D. Palocy opened its immigration program in August of 2019 ! We serve a limited clientele of former refugees who live in poverty and are looking to get their green cards and their citizenship!
Criteria to qualify:
- Arrived to the US as a refugee
- Under 125% of the poverty line
- 3 months of contiguous residence in Rochester, NY and plans to do so for 9 months.
Services provided: Form preparation for the following
- N-400, Application for Naturalization
- I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status
- I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Residence Card
- N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship (for derivative children of naturalized parents)